Hearty Chickpea and Rice soup is perfect for this time of year because it’s going to warm you up from the inside out!
I was inspired to share more lunch and dinner-type recipes after my last post Why I switched to a Plant-based Diet because I know it can be hard to find good and EASY plant-based recipes for those types of meals.
If you are looking for more resources on how to eat more plant-based, please make sure to check out my other post How to Eat a More Plant-based Diet
Back to the soup!
It’s easy, healthy, super tasty and 100% plant-based. This is a great alternative to chicken and rice soup and might I add it is a lot cheaper 😉
This recipe could easily feed a family of 4 or more which is great if you have kids or are having friends over.
I adapted the recipe from the Minimalist Baker’s One-pot Chickpea Noodle soup. You can sub noodles if you prefer, I just find rice is easier and always gluten-free 🙂
If you are more of a visual learner, you can check out the video of this recipe here!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium white or Spanish onion, diced
- 5 small-medium carrots, chopped (3 large)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 7-8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- ½ cup rice (long grain white or basmati)
- 1 cup spinach (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté oil, onions, garlic over medium heat for 5mins or until onions are translucent.
- Add carrots and celery and salt and pepper and cook for 5 mins
- Add broth, chickpeas and thyme and the bring to boil.
- Add rice, cover and simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Remove lid after 20 minutes and add spinach if desired. Let cook for 5-10 minutes more until spinach is wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve topped with salt and pepper, your favourite crackers or your favourite gluten-free baguette!
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer for 1 month.
Allen loved it! 😉