This vegan French toast recipe is up on the blog due to popular demand. The first thing you are probably thinking (and what my first thoughts were) is how do I make egg-free French toast?
Well, it’s easier than you think.
The secret is flax eggs.
Mixing ground flaxseed with almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla makes the perfect batter for coating the toast and only takes a few seconds.
I used gluten-free toast right from the freezer and it sill worked perfectly! I’ll be honest, it isn’t going to look EXACTLY like your traditional French toast, but it will taste exactly the same! Especially when you add your favourite toppings <3
See, you don’t have to give up your favourite foods when trying eat plant-based 🙂 And if you’re more of a pancake lover, check out my recipe for blueberry banana buckwheat pancakes
Easy Vegan French Toast
- 4 pieces of gluten free bread (or regular bread if not gluten-free)*
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 Tbps ground flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Toppings (optional)
- Almond butter
- Coconut yogurt
- Fresh berries
- Maple syrup
- Mix ground flaxseed, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a shallow dish to make batter and let sit for a few moments
- Heat coconut oil in frying pan over medium heat
- Once oil is melted and the pan is hot, dip one slice of bread at a time in batter, turning and then placing in pan
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side, sprinkling more cinnamon if desired
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with desired toppings
- *I keep my gluten-free bread in the freezer and I made this recipe with frozen bread. It took about 5 minutes/side to cook. Cooking time might be faster with fresh or thawed bread.
Please let me know what you think!