Good Morning! Today is Saturday and Saturdays are my favourite day 😀 You get to sleep in (if you don’t have kids), you don’t have to go to work (hopefully), you have time to make a delicious Peanut Butter + Jam Oatmeal breakfast and eat it in peace with a nice big cup of coffee. Mmmmm LOVE it!
I also love Saturdays because I have the whole day to spend planning and trying out new recipes. I don’t have to go to bed early so I can stay up and watch movies really late! Yay!
This morning I was in the mood for classic PB +J. I like to do the toast thing the odd time, but I just love toppings and trying to put so much deliciousness onto toast tends to end up in a big sloppy sticky mess…usually somewhere on my clothes :\
When you’re talking PB+J, then oatmeal is the best of both worlds: childhood classic meets adult obsessed with health food toppings!
Well without further ado, here’s the recipe. You can easily swap, leave out or add toppings to your liking!
- 1/4 cup of half rolled oats, half oat bran (use gluten-free certified oats and oat bran for GF option).
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp your favourite jam (I love strawberry)
- 2 Tbsp of Silk brand unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tbsp hemp heart seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2-3 fresh strawberries
- handful of fresh blueberries
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of sea salt
- Place oats and water in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and add banana, cinnamon and salt. Mash banana and stir to combine.
- Place back into microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave and add all other ingredients. Stir to combine.
- If too cool, place in microwave for 30s-1 minute.
- Add more yogurt, cinnamon and/or salt if desired.
- *Going half and half with whole oats and oat bran makes a much creamier and desirable consistency than each alone. I strongly recommend you try the combination.
- **Feel free to use your toppings instead of any of the ones I used. I love subbing different nut butters, coconut oil, roasted nuts or seeds, maple syrup and other fresh fruit!