This post contains affiliate links meaning I earn a small commission if you use those links. I only recommend brands I use and trust.
Happy Thursday! It’s almost the weekend (and a long weekend at that!) which means it’s time to try out some new recipes 😀 Today I am sharing my Roasted Pumpkin Seed Butter because it is oh-so-easy and oh-so-tasty.
It’s perfect to spread on your morning toast, top your oatmeal or spread on an apple or cracker as a healthy snack.
Did you know…
Pumpkin seeds are also known as pepitas which is the Spanish word for “little seeds of squash” and these little guys actually pack a big nutritional punch! Not only are they a great source of protein, fiber and healthy fats, they are also a good source of minerals including magnesium and zinc. So if you aren’t already eating them, you should definitely consider adding them to your diet.
There’s so many different ways you can incorporate pumpkin seeds into what you are already eating: you can sprinkle them on a salad at lunch or dinner, add them to your homemade granola for a little nutritional breakfast boost, or you can process them into a lovely pumpkin seed butter. This butter is perfect if you have an allergy to nuts or if you just love to eat pumpkin seeds.
You can find pumpkin seeds in a pumpkin :p or in a bag or bin at your local grocery or health food store. Make sure to look for pumpkin seeds that are raw and unsalted. For the best results, use fresh pumpkin seeds and be sure to roast them! I used raw, unsalted and roasted them myself and the recipe turned out great.
To make this recipe extra delicious, roast the pumpkin seeds first!
To roast the seeds, start by spreading 2 cups of seeds on a baking tray and place them in the oven at 300F for about 8-12 minutes. Be sure to stir them frequently and watch them closely as they can start to burn quite quickly.
Let them cool for about 10 minutes before putting them in the food processor and add a bit of sea salt. You will need to process the seeds for about 5-8 minutes until smooth.
Taste the butter, add additional sea salt if needed and process again for a few seconds. Scoop the butter out of the food processor and place it to a clean glass jar. It should be pretty creamy and easy to scoop.
That’s literally it! See, sooooo easy ;)
- 2 cups raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300F
- Spread the pumpkin seeds evenly over large baking sheet and roast in the over for 8-12 minutes stirring and checking regularly*
- Remove from oven once lightly browned and fragrant and let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Place seeds in food processor, add sea salt and process for 5-8 minutes or more depending on your food processor**
- Once smooth, taste and adjust seasoning to preference. Process again if needed for a few seconds
- Scoop butter into glass jar and store in refrigerator for 1-2 months
- *Make sure to actually check these regularly. They cook SUPER quick and you don't want to forget about them and risk burning all your seeds (that would be so tragic!).
- **I recommend using a pretty heavy duty food processor, the smaller ones can overheat and the motor may burn out. I use a 7-cup Kitchenaid food processor and it worked just fine.
Please leave me a comment below and let me know what your favourite way to enjoy pumpkin seeds is!