There is nothing better than a simple garlic olive oil pasta dish.
Mike and I love this recipe because it’s sooo tasty and ridiculously quick and easy for a pasta recipe.
It’s also a great way to get a bunch veggies incorporated into your dinner.
You will notice there is a lot of olive oil in this dish, but please don’t be scared of it!
When Mike and I were in Italy, we took a cooking class and we were blown away at how much oil they used when they were cooking. Ever since then, we’ve been very liberal with our olive oil and food has never tasted so good 😉
I’ve tried this recipe with a few different pasta types (like fettuccini and spaghetti) but my favourite for this dish has been penne. Feel free to use whatever pasta you like best or have on hand.
I hope you enjoy!
Simple Mushroom-Garlic Olive Oil Pasta
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 20 minutes Yields: 3 servings
- 2 cups penne pasta (use gluten free if GF)
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 4-5 cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (about half a lemon)
- 1 -2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Vegan parmesan cheese (or freshly grated parmesan if not vegan)
- More lemon zest, freshly ground pepper and/or parsley
- Make pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and peppers and cook for 5-7 mins until mushrooms have softened.
- Add the spinach and cook until soft (about 2 minutes)
- Add the cooked penne to the skillet along with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and then mix well. Add the lemon zest and parsley and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low and taste to adjust seasoning (being liberal with salt and pepper).
- Once ready to serve, remove from heat and serve immediately with optional garnishes like vegan parmesan or more freshly ground pepper.