“Beanoa” was created out of sheer convenience. It’s the easiest plant-based recipe I’ve ever made that still packs a big nutritional punch.
Beans are rich in fibre and protein and quinoa is not only naturally gluten-free, but it’s also an excellent source of plant-based protein, making this dish the perfect meal for lunch or side dish at dinner.
One thing to remember before I get into the recipe:
Make sure to rinse your quinoa before you cook it.
Quinoa has a protective coating called saponins on it that’s meant to cause gastric distress (aka gas and bloating). If you rinse the quinoa before cooking, you can remove these saponins and enjoy this dish symptom-free!
I hope you enjoy 🙂
- 1 cup of dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ can green lentils, drained and rinsed (or sub ½ can chickpeas)
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions. Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool*
- Make the dressing in a large bowl by adding all the dressing ingredients and whisk until combined
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, including the cooked quinoa and stir until combined
- Serve immediately or store in air-tight container for up to 7 days
- *You can make the quinoa ahead of time to save time on this recipe. Or to cool quickly, scoop the quinoa into another bowl and place in the freezer (or outside if you live in Canada) for 5-10 mins.
Until next time,