I have been in love with chocolate chip pancakes ever since I can remember because my mom would always make them for us on the weekends. She even made them for me as I got older; I can remember countless times in university when my friends and I would stay over after a night of partying.
And let me tell you, there is nothing better than waking up to homemade chocolate chip pancakes when you are hungover 😉
Thankfully, I now live so close to my mom and dad that I can always scoot over and ask her to make me some. However, I have been getting pretty good at making them myself these days.
This pancake recipe has a bit of a twist compared to the ones my mom used to make as they are vegan and gluten-free by subbing in a flax egg instead of a real egg and using oat flour instead of regular flour.
I would argue that they are healthier than my childhood favourite because they pack a little more fibre and use healthier fats. However, they taste just as good (even better in my books – just don’t tell my mom haha!)
OK, I’ll admit I don’t always eat chocolate for breakfast, but life is all about balance. And sometimes having chocolate chip pancakes first thing in the morning is just what I need! So don’t beat yourself up for it and just enjoy it. Life is too short to skip pancakes anyway 😉
And if chocolate chips aren’t your thing, then check out my recipe for Blueberry-Banana Buckwheat Pancakes.
Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 flax egg
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4-1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips**
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Make the flax egg by placing 1 tbsp ground flax in a small bowl with 3 tbsp warm water and mix well. Allow to sit for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mash the banana with the cinnamon and vanilla until combined.
- Make the oat flour by grinding up 1 - 1/2 cups of oats using a food processor, blender or coffee grinder until it is a fine powder.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, salt the flax egg and half of the milk to the bowl with the banana and mix well.
- Add the remaining milk as needed until it reaches desired consistency (shouldn't be too thick or too runny).
- In a large frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Once frying pan is hot, add pancake mix using a ladle into desired sizes.
- Add desired amount of chocolate chips to each pancake
- Flip once you notice bubbles coming through the pancakes (about 3-5 mins) and cook on the other side for about 2-3 mins.
- Repeat until all pancake mix is gone
- Serve immediately with your favourite toppings. Some of my favourite are almond butter and maple syrup 🙂
- *Make sure to use gluten-free oats if needed
- **Look for vegan chocolate chips like the Camino brand if vegan