I am obsessed with Pad Thai! So being able to make it at home and make it 100% plant-based is super important to me.
If you haven’t tried Pad Thai before, you are definitely missing out. I highly recommend this recipe because it’s easy and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients you don’t already have at home or that you can’t easily find at your local grocery store.
I love to serve this dish when I’m hosting because it can feed a lot of people and is able to accommodate a lot of dietary preferences.
If you are looking for an appetizer to serve with Pad Thai, I love to make my own rice wrap spring rolls (recipe coming to the blog soon).
Easy Vegan Pad Thai
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 package of medium width rice noodles
1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
1 tsp dried chilies/red pepper flakes
3/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp coconut oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 packages of extra firm tofu; 1 cubed, 1 crumbled*
3/4 cup ground unsalted peanuts**
4 cups bean sprouts
7 green onions, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/4 cup chopped peanuts**
6 lime wedges
6 lemon wedges
1/2 cup cilantro
- Place noodles on a large bowl. Cover with boiling water and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes. Once soft, drain and set aside.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large wok, heat oil over high heat and cook garlic until lightly browned
- Add cubed tofu and fry until lightly browned
- Add crumbled tofu and continue to fry until lightly browned
- Add noodles and sauce to wok and mix well. Fry for 3 minutes
- Add ground peanuts, bean sprouts and green onion. Lightly toss for 2 minutes
- Serve immediately with garnishes
*If you eat eggs, you can replace the crumbled tofu with 4 eggs beaten lightly. I would also recommend pressing the tofu before cubing and crumbling it to remove access water.
**You can replace peanuts for almonds or other nut if needed.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.